Wednesday, December 12, 2007

There are no Brothers on the internet.

Until today I frequented various Masonic message boards and blogs. No more.

I don't enjoy reading or seeing things that denigrate or ridicule my beliefs. I don't enjoy "debate", especially when what that really means is defending against uninformed rants and holier-than-thou proclamations.

The question I ask myself is "why?"

Why "defend" my beliefs? What does it matter what others think? Especially when they aren't interested in really knowing, but are only interested in needling or blindly defending their stance.

Nevermind manners. Nevermind etiquette. Forget about respecting another's opinion. Especially if it differs from your own.

It all boils down to this. There is no accountability. Even if you use your real name you're separated from any consequences of your behavior by untold miles of phone line/fiber/whatever.

There. Got that off my chest. I'm a little irked today. Hopefully the posts will start being a little more upbeat.